Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Friday, December 21, 2018

Have you ever been torn between two places?

I am torn between the memories of 40 years at one place and 4 at another.  I lived in Oklahoma for 40 years.  That time started my freshman year in college through 2014.  During that time I experienced about all one could experience.  There came a time when I felt I just had to leave.  Whether it was the risk of tornadoes, and we grow them BIG in Okla, or just running away from always seeing someone you know everywhere you go, but I had to go somewhere else and make a new start.  At the time the short list was Colorado Springs and Kansas City area.  My son did not like KC so that knocked the list down to 1.  I was not going to live in a place that he might be less than likely to visit.  So, off to Colorado we went.  We found a house fairly quickly in a wonderful neighborhood.  The best part of that was the neighbors that we had there.  They were the best we ever had.  It was a very close knit group that we found ourselves a part of in a very short time.  We also found a church to be a part of and a Bible study in our neighborhood with friends we will have the rest of our lives.  I would venture to say that they are the best friends we have ever had.  After a while we left that church for the most amazing worship experience of my life in Aurora.  It is the best for us at this time.  On top of all that 2 of the 3 children moved here to stay the rest of their lives in this area.  So, with all this great stuff how could I possibly miss Okla?  Well, it's the memories.  I can fly into the airport and look out at the city and see all the tears I shed for lots of different reasons there.  I also see all the great times and all the successes and all the emotions.  They all happened there.  So, what do I miss, the memories of the people?  I obviously miss the people.  There are a few people that are at the top of  my list.  My Jo is there.   I will always miss being able to be near her whenever I need.  I've tried to be there as often as I can, but there are times I don't see her for 3 months.  That's just too long.  That can't be helped.  That is just the way it will be.  Not what I would wish for.  I also have my wonderful sister and the world's best brother-in-law there.  I miss them a lot also.  Having these 3 people there has me torn between 2 places.  Do I really want to live in Okla again, not really.  Do I want to see them when I want, YES.  But miles keeps that from happening.  Here we are at Christmas time, a real family time, and they are there, some 600 miles away.  I will be OK and the family here will make new memories with the worlds best granddaughter, but a part of me will remain in Okla with Jo and Max and Judy and Winford.

Enjoy another Christmas song.


No comments:

Post a Comment