Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Clean Slate/Fresh Start

I am ready.  What does this look like?



This is a dream house for me.  May even be a bit too big.   The windows and the lay out are simple.  I would live in a pole barn house or a metal building house.  This is all part of the fresh start.  More on this later.

 Well, to get a clean slate one has to leave their "Cheers" setting, where everyone knows your name.  Go where no one knows your name and there are less preconceived notions, etc.  A clean slate might also be a totally clean and somewhat pared down house and household items.  I would welcome that after having liquidating two houses last summer and helping with one other this last week.  I am less of a hold on to everything sentimentalist than some, although I do have too much "stuff".  How freeing it would feel to have minimal "stuff".   One way to achieve this is to have pictures of special stuff and have a memory session occasionally.  I have no need to own all that jewelry or dishes that I never use or the cool clothes I used to love or the furniture that was special.  Space and being able to keep things clean is more important than having these things.  So there is also this thing about having too much and being wasteful.  One of my pet peeves is to see a perfectly good strip center, empty, and a new one going up across the street.  Why oh why can't we just use what we already have!  Why must we build just for building sake!  It never fails to bother me.  Yes I would like a house that is new, but if I can re-purpose one, that is my preference.  The whole idea of salvage of old buildings is one of my favorite ideas.  I am glad there are companies out there that do this, good for them!  I would love to remodel a house using only salvaged items.
A clean slate also means getting out of my current rut and establishing new routines.  Yes, change is uncomfortable, but sometimes it is necessary to clean out the cobwebs of my mind and expand.  I am looking forward to that time.

The fresh start may be a ways away, but I am getting ready, preparing my heart and mind.  This clean slate/fresh start is an idea dreamed up by the husband and myself and will be our next move.


You/me


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! So proud of you both. I can't wait to see what the clean slate looks like!

    ReplyDelete