Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Inspiration: Where Does it Come From?

What inspires me?  I guess there are several ways to inspire my self.  One of the best ways to inspire me is to experience the finished project.  A half finished project is sort of like torture to me.  But for some reason taking this class and knowing I have 3 plus hours per class doesn't feel like an unfinished project.  Another inspiration for me is to take something that looks like it might be ready for the trash, put some thought into it and then some time and effort and see how beautiful it can become.  I know I have already shown this chair but this is the perfect example of inspiration for me.



This chair was actually a scratching post for the cat.  He needed a place to exercise his catly rights and this was the spot of lest importance in the living room.  I wanted to get rid of it but was afraid he would choose another piece to do this on if I did.  So it stayed.  Then I took this class and I needed a project.  I thought I would cover it and at least have the practice.  I went out and bought a real cat tree.


It was a real treat for the cats and the dog enjoyed it also!


Here is the cat who needs a scratching post falling through the cat tree but he doesn't mind.


Back to an inspiration,  this chair had another cover on it that I made that was kind of a removeable cover.  But this fabric!  It was definitely from the 60's.  If it were in good shape or if you could find new fabric like this, that would be fun. 


But when it was all said and done, this is how the chair looked.  It no longer needed to be trashed.  It was worth saving!  Now that is inspiration.  It made me want to do more projects like this.  Thrift stores are great places for inspiration.  I have been to many this last week looking for my next project after I finish the "ladies".  I don't know what to look for so I am keeping an open mind and when "it" appears, I will know it.  My past inspiration has been to give each of my children and SIL and future DIL.  Now I need new inspiration.  Someday I want to reupholster a sofa.  But I need a good sofa and then fabric the husband and I agree on.  That might be a challenge.

Sometimes inspiration is something as simple as my daughter asking me for an idea for a her special room at her new house.  I have had the most fun just looking for ideas for this room.  It would be a room with layers or levels.  The bed like thing could be a twin bed made on pallets then step down a level which would still be elevated above the floor and then step down to the floor.  Each level covered with soft fabrics to look like the bed area is a throne type area.  An inspiration in progress...


Blurry, but an inspiration.  I can see a room with this and a lot of candles...but maybe those candles that are actually little lights to avoid the smell of burning and less chance of fire.

More later on this...

I guess inspiration is out there to be had and there will be days without it also.  So for now, I am inspired and will be looking for more projects...



2 comments: