Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Son-in-law Chair


So M got a great chair.  In it's previous life it was a grand expensive chair.  I love how the design on the back is pretty centered.  That is not always easy.



So I found this amazing tye-dye burlap and decided to line it and use it on the back and sides of the chair.  It is just perfect.  I also used some of this burlap to make new Christmas stockings for the family this Christmas.


I used upholstery strapping for a band around the top.  These stockings were designed by the husband and have room for a lot of stuff.  In our house the stocking is one of our favorite parts of the gift giving of Christmas.  I'm getting kind of tired of how off track the season has become.  Enough of that until next Christmas...


So here is the completed chair.  This chair is a very heavy chair.  After putting it up on a table and taking it down numerous times a trip was in order for my chiropractor.  


I love how denim seems to work with everything.  No, I am not late to the the denim thing, I am a life long fan.  It is so versatile and works with almost everything. 


A better picture of the back.  I centered that circle in the back.  Maybe it would have been better as random as the tye-dye was meant to be...

Most of these pictures are taken at the a local school.  The vo-tech was hit by the massive May 31 tornado last year and destroyed.


This is the result of the largest tornado on record that luckily lifted before the damage was more massive than it already was.


If you know anything about what a tornado looks like on radar and unfortunately here in Oklahoma, we do, you will recognize this massive hook echo!  This was the day of my dear sister's viewing and I had to herd all the grieving loved ones into a local church to ride out the darkest evening as this massive tornado threatened.  Had it stayed on course, it would have destroyed the place we were sheltering in.


This is another picture.  It was so large that it layed down lots of funnels, but it was the size of the western sky!  It was pitch black at 6 in the evening when the sun should have been out.  After this thing lifted reset and dissipated, it rained like none other, flooding streets that don't normally flood.  Life was lost in the tornado and after in the flooding.  Oh, Oklahoma, I hate your spring time threats.  And as that time gets closer...  After last year we are all on pins and needles.  I recall that day being so weird.  Of course my sister had just died and I was in planning mode/protecting my grieving mother mode.  I knew that at any moment around 4:30 that something would pop through the ceiling and start it's larger than normal building system that would threaten life.  Maybe a sixth sense, I sense things like this.  I told the husband to skip my sister's viewing to stay home and bug out with the "boys" because I knew if my gut feelings was right it would be massive.  By mid-afternoon the weather people were calling this are a PDS, particularly dangerous situation.  But by 4:45 there was nothing on radar.  By 5:00, it popped and by 6 was huge.  We had just had a massive tornado 9 days earlier.  
Well, I am hoping for less of that kind of massive weather this spring, but just in case, we will have things packed to bug out most of the spring.  That's just what we have to do here in Oklahoma.

Where are they now? 

The first in the "where are the chairs now",  installment...


Home with a kitty sleeping on it, Charl knows a comfy place.  





No comments:

Post a Comment