Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 16: Jetta

In an attempt to deal with my grief, I have been reading books about near death experiences.  Now I did not come up with this idea myself, my other sister suggested it might help us to know where she is.  I went in search of that knowledge if not for sure at least to comfort my earthly mind.  I have now read 3 of these stories/books.  I just finished Proof of Heaven, by Eben Alexander, M.D.  I am highly recommending this book, especially to those of you who might read this and put a lot of stock in the scientific community.  His experience will open your mind to things you thought either you were the only one to think, or how crazy!  But none the less his description is impressive.  Towards the end he  adds a poem that touched my heart and I must share.  This was written by David M. Romano.  Here it is:


When Tomorrow Starts Without Me 
When tomorrow starts without me, 
And I’m not there to see, 
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me
I wish so much you wouldn’t cry
The way you did today, 
While thinking of the many things, 
We didn’t get to say.
I know how much you love me, 
As much as I love you, 
And each time you think of me, 
I know you’ll miss me too;
But when tomorrow starts without me, 
Please try to understand, 
That an angel came and called my name, 
And took me by the hand, 
And said my place was ready, 
In heaven far above
And that I’d have to leave behind
All those dearly I love. 
But as I turned to walk away, 
A tear fell from my eye
For all my life, I’d always thought, 
I didn’t want to die.
I had so much to live for, 
So much left yet to do, 
It seemed almost impossible, 
That I was leaving you. 
I thought of all the yesterdays, 
The good ones and the bad, 
The thought of all the love we shared, 
And all the fun we had. 
If I could relive yesterday
Just even for a while, 
I’d say good-bye and kiss you
And maybe see you smile. 
But then I fully realized
That this could never be, 
For emptiness and memories, 
Would take the place of me. 
And when I thought of worldly things
I might miss come tomorrow, 
I thought of you, and when I did
My heart was filled with sorrow. 
But when I walked through heaven’s gates
I felt so much at home
When God looked down and smiled at me, 
From His great golden throne, 
He said, “This is eternity,
And all I’ve promised you.
Today your life on earth is past
But here it starts anew. 
I promise no tomorrow, 
But today will always last, 
And since each day’s the same way, 
There’s no longing for the past. 
You have been so faithful, 
So trusting and so true.
Though there were times
You did some things
You knew you shouldn’t do.
But you have been forgiven
And now at last you’re free.
So won’t you come and take my hand
And share my life with me?” 
So when tomorrow starts without me, 
Don’t think we’re far apart, 
For every time you think of me, 
I’m right here, in your heart. 







After you read this if you feel like it let me know how much she meant to you.  

8 comments:

  1. How does one say how much Jetta meant? To each of us, she was something special. To me, she was loving and giving, and in a way that opened up permission for me to be myself.

    She was also the friend to you, Joy, who made it so I didn't have to entirely fill that role, the parts that only another woman could fill. It seems funny to say it, but she gave me a good wife by giving you her heartfelt support. Of course, I didn't know that at the time.

    Jetta was comfortable to be around, easily accepting & returning hugs. Talking about pretty much anything I wanted to talk about. A neat girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jetta was my younger cousin who was always so willing to do whatever needed to be done for the family. I remember her as a little girl wanting to do everything with the Judy and me when we were all together. Of course, we usually thought we were too old to have her hanging around. I have a lot of childhood memories of her. One of them is her beautiful auburn hair. She was so wonderful with your mother also. She was such a special person and I still can't quite believe she is gone. That poem is wonderful. If you haven't seen the movie "Heaven is for Real" you should. I read the book several years ago. I am going to try to read that book you took the poem from also. I love you and have been thinking about you, Judy and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joyce. I love you, too. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I e-mailed you a picture today. I didn't know if you had it or not and thought you would like it.

      Delete
    2. I got it. thank you so much.

      Delete
  4. The poem is outstanding...in content for sure, but also technically very flowing and pleasing. I still have not found suitable words to express my inner feelings about Jetta. Perhaps I never will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't really express how beautiful this poem is, or how accurate or relevant it is. You are grieving with such grace, and I admire and respect you so much. It takes courage to share this process on a blog, and I'm so proud of you fr doing so. It makes me feel hopeful, and I know I'm not alone in that. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing, Joy.

    ReplyDelete