Simpler Times

Simpler Times

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Day 31: Jetta

Today my mother turns 93.  She is 93 years young.  She has definitely seen younger days, but for 93 she is in pretty good shape.  Jetta would be so proud of her.
 This day one year ago was a crazy day.  It started out as one of those rare PDS storm days, particularly dangerous situation.  The day was humid and just generally uncomfortable.  I went home before going to Jetta's viewing and changed clothes.  While home on the far west side of town, I went out in the back to gaze into the sky which had nothing in it.  But I could feel that at any moment a tornado could pop up out of no where.  I left the husband home to pack up the 2 cats and the dog and bug out not if but when the storm popped.  By the time I made it back to the other sister's house the storm had popped.  We hurried to the viewing.  I knew that it would be short lived and sure enough the storm was the worst in history.  I told the girl behind the desk at the funeral home, tell me when the tornado hits El Reno, so I could get the family out of the building and to shelter.  We were there maybe 10 minutes.  We took shelter in the basement of a nearby church with hundreds, really hundreds of other people.  The sky was black at 6 pm.  The tornado measured 2.6 miles wide and was heading our way but lifted and eventually dissipated but not before dropping record rainfall and taking the lives of 3 veteran storm chasers.  It was one for the record books.  That was a difficult day to say the least.  Jetta always said every time we got together for our birthday, it would cause a tornado.  She was right about that this particular night.




Flowers from Jetta's family.

Wish there was energy and profound thoughts to pass along, but I am tired and this has been a trying year.  I am ready to keep moving along and never forget how much of an impact Jetta will always have on my life and those others who knew her well enough.  So whether you were related to her or just someone who knew her well, let's take her example and live by it.

Much love, my sissy.  My thoughts are on you and your life a lot.  Thanks for being there for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment